HEA Member Communication COVID-19 UpdateHillsed / April 7, 2020
HEA Member Communication
April 7, 2020
Hello, from the HEA office!
HEA leadership has been working behind the scenes to collaborate with the District and support our common goals, and needs-to balance student needs with staff reality.
The following are updates on various “COVID related” issues that impact you:
YOUR HEA CONTRACT:
During this period of online instruction, our HEA contract provisions remain intact. HEA agreed to a modification of the terms of our contractual “No meetings week” to accommodate the one or two necessary meetings this week. We agreed to these provisions:
- Building administration may call one staff meeting to clarify and support distance learning expectations. A second meeting can be called only if directions from ODE (Oregon Department of Education) change that will impact the work of licensed staff;
- Any new information about changing grading policies and district policy changes due to new ODE requirements will be communicated via morning emails.
- PLCs will occur if determined necessary to collaborate and coordinate distance learning;
- Grading/Workday of April 10 will not include any meetings or office hours;
We are working on a draft LOA (Letter of Agreement) to outline and define the following areas of your work:
- Work expectations and conditions (the goal is realistic, fair and clear)
- Your safety
TIPS, REMINDERS, AND RESOURCES:
Until we have the LOA completed, here are some tips and reminders about your daily work life:
- Continue to share your weekly PLC meeting/notes with your admin and your daily office hour schedule with your admin and students/parents.
- April 10 is a workday for the elementary and grading day for secondary, so virtual meetings and office hours are not required.
- If your admin has requested your daily schedule, remember to list your activities, not the time logged (create an all-day meeting in Outlook and list tasks in the notes)
- You can still submit for Extended Hours for Assessment and Standards Implementation during this time. This is a contractual provision, Art 5, page 12. The form to apply is in HSD Staff Links and also on HEA’s website at www.heaoea.org
- We expect HSD to release more detailed guidance about your workdays, including the daily office hour. We understand you will have the choice for the hour to be “live” or to use email or specific telephone appointments to address student and parent needs during that daily office hour—specifics coming from district soon.
ODE REQUIREMENTS, CREDIT, ETC.
We expect to have more info from ODE related to student credit, how to count work, and other related questions.
Oregon Education Association (OEA) Foundation is offering resources such as food and heat https://www.oregoned.org/. OEA also has student loan deferral information including a webinar and our local union website is www.heaoea.org.
REACH OUT IF YOU NEED US!
Please reach out to your building rep with questions, comments, or concerns – HEA leadership will be having their monthly representative council meeting (virtually) next Wednesday, so please share with your building rep so they can bring information to our meeting. I will be hosting virtual HEA Office Hours on Wednesdays from 8:30-9:30 a.m. and again in the afternoon from 3:30-4:30. You can find me at Hangouts Meet joining info https://meet.google.com/ocx-ezpp-xjc Or dial: +1 484-531-2540 PIN: 203 035 534#
Jill Golay, President
Hillsboro Education Association
503-645-6776 ext. 2507
Hillsboro Education Association
Improving the future through quality education today!